One of the two oldest buildings in Alamo, Georgia, and what is now known as Towns Funeral Home, lies at the center of the city’s history. The house was built in 1870 and home to John McRae (1842-1908), a Montgomery County judge, member of the Georgia State Senate, and founder of Alamo. In 1889, the Savannah and Montgomery Railroad proposed to lay track three miles south of the city’s present site. Instead, John McRae, owner of the surrounding area, donated land to the railroad on the condition that the line be built nearer his home. As a result, the city of Alamo was born, named for the famous Texan battle. A century and a half later, McRae’s home still stands and houses Towns Funeral Home’s efforts to faithfully serve the city we call home.